Chiropractor Wilmington NC: Water Benefits
You’ve probably heard that many Americans don’t drink as much water as they should-that we live in a “dehydration nation” and that even our sensation of thirst has become muted over time as a result. You’ve also probably heard the conventional advice about drinking 8 glasses of water every day. Interestingly, it’s very difficult to find strong scientific backing for either of these two ideas. BUT… does that mean that many of us wouldn’t benefit from drinking more water? NO! Our chiropractor in Wilmington NC explains why drinking is beneficial.
While we can turn to a wide variety of thirst quenchers at home, at work or on the go, nothing can beat the original and the best-water. At least in part, this is because water gives us the hydration we need without a lot of other stuff we don’t-extra calories, caffeine, artificial sweeteners and so on.
Our Special Relationship with Water
Our bodies are made up of 43-75% water. The wide range in percentages comes from measuring different populations ranging from newborns (~75%) to obese people (~45%), with normal adult hydration at about 57%-60%. Here are a just a few ways that water is essential to our health and well-being:
* We can survive a month without food, but we’d die after a week without water. The body is able to absorb many nutrients and salts better thanks to water’s ability to transport these nutrients (as well as oxygen) to our body’s cells and organs. Detoxifying is also vitally important to our health, since it cleans our bodies of impurities. The best way to excrete these impurities is through our urine and sweat-both of which depend on our water intake.
* Upping your water intake may help to reduce the risk of kidney stones. The kidneys filter waste products from the blood, which are then expelled by the body via urination. However, if the concentration of salt in our urine is high (because we have either too much salt in the system or too little water), kidney stones ma form. By drinking more water, this concentration of salts is reduced.
* We are at risk of sunstroke if our bodies become dehydrated. When we sweat, this cools our body down. If dehydrated, the body cannot sweat and overheats, which can damage the body’s internal organs.
* If you suffer from high blood pressure, maybe it’s your water intake that is the problem. When our lose more than the optimal amount of liquid, our blood vessels constrict, which can cause our blood pressure to increase. If blood pressure is increased by a deficiency in water, this may also increase the risk of heart disease. Because the constricted blood vessels cause an increase in blood pressure, the heart works harder to compensate for the reduced volume of blood. Lower blood pressure and greater consumption of water help lower stress on the heart.
* Drinking more water can help you stay younger looking longer. Drinking a lot of water helps keep the skin clean and fresh-looking by removing impurities through sweating. Water also helps to keep the skin hydrated, which means younger looking skin with less sagging and fewer wrinkles.
* Drinking water also cuts hunger pangs and acts as a good filler. Water has zero calories, so consider trading in your sugary drinks and juices to help control your weight.
But Change is Hard, You Say?
If increasing your water intake seems like a chore, why not add lemon or mint to your bottle to give it a little flavor? Eat more fruits rich in water such as watermelon, and try to drink water more regularly over the course of the day. Having a glass of water or water bottle near you during the day has been shown to increase water consumption without effort.
Good health is a combination of many lifestyle factors (including your nutrition, exercise and sleep habits) as well as your healthcare. If you have questions about this article or about your overall health and well-being, call or visit our office today! You’ll be glad you did!
Remember-we are here to help! Chiropractic care should be as routine as drinking water. We encourage you to call or visit our office today! Our chiropractor Wilmington NC can help you!