The spine rarely gets much thought or consideration, but it is one of the most important features in the human body. Without it, we wouldn’t be able to move, let alone stand upright. It’s so important that it even has its own day – World Spine Day. If that surprises you, then here are 20 more spine facts from Southeastern Healthcare’s chiropractor Wilmington NC.
- There are about 22 ligaments in the spine
- The spinal cord has more than 13.5 million neurons
- The average spinal cord weighs about 35 grams
- The spine is so flexible that when bent it can form 2/3 of a circle
- The spinal column has more than 100 joints
- Humans and giraffes share the same number of cervical vertebrae (seven)
- The first cervical vertebrae is called “atlas” after the character in Greek mythology because it “carries the weight of the head”
- There are more than 120 muscles in the spinal column
- One-fourth of the spine’s length is made up of cartilage
- More than 80% of Americans will suffer from back pain at some time in their lifetimes with most injuries resulting from auto accidents
- After the age of 40, humans “shrink” at a rate of a quarter- to a third-of-an-inch per decade as a result of gravity’s effect on the spine
- Astronauts return to earth approximately 3% taller than when they left because of microgravity’s expanding effect on the spine’s cartilage
- Spines have 33 individual vertebrae, but some fuse over time to become the coccyx and the sacrum
- The spine has four primary motions – forward, backward, side bending, and rotating
- Sitting in a hunched position puts 200-lbs of pressure on the lumbar spine
- October 16th is the official World Spine Day
- Lying flat on your back with legs elevated puts 25-lbs of pressure on the lumbar spine
- The spine is capable of withstanding several hundred pounds of pressure
- The spine has a memory. This is why it is so important to make sure it is always properly aligned
- People with back pain who don’t undergo chiropractic treatment or rehabilitation are 22 times more likely to experience a relapse
Get Relief from Back Pain – Visit a Southeastern Healthcare Chiropractor Wilmington NC Today
There are dozens of causes of back pain, but a great many of which can be improved simply by being treated by an experienced chiropractor Wilmington NC. Isn’t it time you stopped living in constant pain? Get the relief you’re looking for, safely and holistically, at Southeastern Healthcare.
Call Southeastern Healthcare today at 910-790-3666 to schedule an appointment with one of our chiropractors. We are here for you. With six locations throughout the Wilmington area, we have an office conveniently close to you.